The e-SIDES/BDVA session at the IFIP Summer School was held on 23 August.
The session "Towards Privacy-Preserving Big Data Analytics" was chaired by Michael Friedewald. It started with two impulse talks given by Tjerk Timan (TNO, BDVA) on the BDVA position paper and Daniel Bachlechner (Fraunhofer , e-SIDES) on the e-SIDES community position paper. The impulse talks were followed by a panel discussion. The panelists were:
- Haosheng Huang (University of Zurich, Track&Know project)
- Marc van Lieshout (Radboud iHub for Security, Privacy and Data Governance)
- Diane Whitehouse (EHTEL European Health Telematics Association)
- Sabrina Kirrane (Wirtschaftsuniversität Wien, SPECIAL project)
- Karolina La Fors (Univ. Leiden, e-SIDES project)
- Tjerk Timan (TNO, BDVA)
The panelists were first asked for comments on the impulse talks. Afterwards, the following questions were discussed:
- How responsible is data use today? What are good examples to inspire others?
- What role does the application domain play? What’s the situation like in healthcare and mobility?
- What role do privacy-preserving technologies play? What are the strengths and weaknesses of technical measures?
- To what extent must responsibility be legally enforced? What are the strengths and weaknesses of legal measures?
The presentation delivered by Daniel Bachlechner for e-SIDES is available at this link.